Friday, February 19, 2010

Zane's Story

Zane + Mama

Most people don't think about bad policies or legislation until it affects you and your family personally.

Such is the case with the Zero Tolerance Policy at my son Zane's school. If you had asked me my thoughts on this policy a month ago, I may have even said I agreed with it and not given it a second thought. But not now. Not after our "situation" and what I've found in doing research. What I found, and what has happened, is APPALLING to me.

My son Zane Champion just turned 11 years old on February 12th - Abe Lincoln's Birthday. He's not a perfect kid, but he's a good kid, a smart kid. He still plays with Legos, makes origami, plays the cello, guitar and piano, is an amazing brother, attends rallies with me, volunteers to feed the homeless, is an incredible public speaker, writes fantastic stories and poetry, paints and likes to ride his bike.

Zane

Zane gets in trouble for the usual boy stuff - teasing girls, horse-play, and sometimes being too talkative and overly-exuberant in class. Kid stuff. Zane is in 5th grade.

We were so excited and proud when Zane was accepted into Arizona School of the Arts for their very first 5th grade class. We planned on him attending this prestigious charter school in Downtown Phoenix through 12th grade. Zane loves this school and has made many friends.

As I'm a single mom with my own business, I have again and again given thanks that my son could receive this type of education for free. Though the school lacks any type of physical exercise or recess, Zane has cello, piano, and voice lessons daily along with academic classes that challenge and inspire him.

Two months ago, Zane's father Nate told us that he would be moving to San Diego. I am good friends with my ex-husband and have successfully been co-parenting with him for over 6 years. Though I support his move, I knew the transition would be hard on Zane, so I informed his teachers of the impending move as I like to keep an open line of communication to stay involved in his education. He has gotten in trouble for splashing water at a girl after a rain storm and talking too much in cello class. Again, kid stuff.

Zane's dad lives in Cottonwood (an hour and a half north of Phoenix,) so I usually put Zane on a shuttle right after school every other Friday to go stay with his dad for the weekend. This is what took place on Friday, February 5th. All Zane had with him was his school book bag.

Zane & Zoe at rally

Nate has been packing and going over things getting ready for his move in March. While doing this, he has been putting aside things for Zane's "treasure box." Things such as photos, skeleton keys and coins. Boy stuff.

That weekend visit, one of the things that Nate had put aside for Zane was a little 2 inch penknife. The kind of penknife my grandfather used to use to clean his fingernails. I hope you see where this is headed...

Zane threw the penknife into the outside pocket of his book bag. The pocket where he keeps his pencils and pens. Neither Nate or Zane informed me about the penknife - probably because they didn't give it any thought. I myself am guilty of almost always having a Swiss Army knife on me - Girl Scout that I was - and have even forgotten it was in my bag when going to court for my work.

Zane went to school on Monday forgetting that he'd thrown the penknife from his dad into his bag. A mistake I'm sure he'll NEVER make again. A mistake... While standing in line for class, Zane reached into that front pocket to get a pen. He felt the penknife, did a "what's this?" and made the mistake of pulling it out to look at it. Upon seeing it, he immediately knew that it shouldn't have come to school with him, but before he could get it put away, a boy standing next to him shouted "Teacher - Zane has a knife!" Zane explained the situation to the teacher, who took the knife away from him and told him he could get it back after school. Some of the kids started teasing Zane about the knife.

At the end of the day, Zane was called into the Vice Principal's office and told he would be suspended for 5 days due to the "Zero Tolerance Policy." I was called to the office to pick Zane up. When I got to the school, Zane was sitting on the bench outside of her office weeping uncontrollably. He told me what had happened.

Zane playing cello outside

I went into the office and the Vice Principal told me that Zane had explained what happened to her, that she believed the penknife had been brought to school in his bag by mistake, she knew he didn't intend to harm anyone, BUT, due to the school's Zero Tolerance Policy, Zane would be suspended for a minimum of 5 days, and could face EXPULSION!

When we got home from school, Zane, not prompted by me, sat down and wrote an apology letter to the ASA teachers and staff asking that they give him a chance. Zane's dad wrote an email to the school and I did as well.

On Tuesday, February 16th, I sent an email to the school asking what was happening and whether or not Zane would be allowed to return to the school that coming Thursday. A day which he also had a cello recital that he had been looking forward to.

I received a phone call later that afternoon from the Vice Principal stating that they, the administrators, were recommending to the Board that Zane be EXPELLED. For an accident - a MISTAKE.

On Thursday morning, February 18th, I along with a family friend and attorney, Stephen Benedetto, attended a meeting with the Head of School, the Principal and the Vice Principal. All three women stated that they think Zane is a good kid and said they believe he didn't intentionally bring the penknife to school or harm anyone. BUT they stood by their decision to recommend EXPULSION, basically saying their hands were tied by the Zero Tolerance Policy, and that the expulsion decision would now rest with the school's Governing Board, at a closed Board hearing that will be taking place on Tuesday, February 23rd at 5:30 p.m. at the ASA Campus.

Because I felt like my son was going through enough with his dad's upcoming move, and because I didn't want him to be unjustly and unfairly "labled" on his permanant school record, I told the administrators I would consider voluntarily withdrawing him from school if they could assure me the "mistake" would be kept off of his school record. I was told I'd receive a phone call.

Zane+Dad

I did receive the phone call from the Head of School later that day, saying the Board would have to follow through with the expulsion proceedings due again, to the ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY, but if I withdrew him, she would recommend to the Board that they not follow through (but they still could if they thought it was best.) She said she knew there was no malice on Zane's part, and had given the Board the details - including the fact that Zane's dad would soon be moving.

When I called Zane after the meeting to talk to him about the possibility of withdrawing him from his school, he started crying. He told me: "But I love my school. All of my friends are there. Why are they doing this to me?"

Zane

This made me angry. Why ARE they doing this to him - to our family? We don't live in a black & white world - there are many shades of gray. How do I, as a mother, teach my child about democracy and justice with a "one punishment fits all" policy? What will expelling my child from the school he loves teach him??? To lie at all costs? To give up? To never admit you made a mistake?

How has our society reached a point where a school administrator is not allowed to use good old-fashioned common sense and make a judgement call? It was a mistake. There was no intent to harm - no malice. They even said so. It should be simple - but it's not.

Because of the Zero Tolerance Policy within our schools across the Nation, good kids are being punished and treated like they're criminals on a daily basis. Just do a Google search on Zero Tolerance Policy + schools and read the stories for yourself. It's alarming!

Of COURSE weapons and drugs have NO place and don't belong in our schools, but the "punishment" should fit the "crime." When we're expelling good kids left and right out of the school system for minor things and mistakes, we've come to a dark place within our society.

A dark place that is negatively affecting our most treasured segment - our children -

OUR FUTURE.

Zane + Leah
I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice. - Abraham Lincoln

8 comments:

Martha Gates-Mawson said...

I found your blog through our mutual friend, Kristen Barner. I have signed the petition and will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Morgan said...

I'm so sorry about this for you. I had a horrible time in school and as a precocious artistic and musical child (played french horn starting at seven) and found that children that didn't immediately conform to the meat grinder of the American school system were severely ostracized and made to feel like there was something wrong with them. the children that could benefit from imaginative schooling suffer greatly at myopic teachers and administrators. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

I have a daughter at ASA, and while she loves her school, too, I do not love the administration, their policies, nor some of the teachers and their vindictiveness toward some of the children (the chosen ones). Quite possibly some of the problem is from Zane's talkativeness. Teachers have a way of getting back at those kids they have identified as ...troublemakers? The school traumatizes our kids. I picked up my daughter one day, weeping and almost in shock from being suspended for pushing another kid's hand away from her face. I am not taken in by their "feigned" concern for children.

Mssss. Champion said...

Yes - he does get in trouble for being talkative and "overly-exuberant" as they call it. I think they should be gentle with their new 5th grade class. These are young kids in a sort of in-between phase, and especially 10 & 11 year old boys have a good amount of energy with no way to burn it off during all of those hours. We'll see what happens, and I am leaving the ultimate decision up to Zane - but I do NOT want an expulsion on his record or the unfair label associated with his name. I truly appreciate your comments and support! Thank you - and I hope your daughter has a better time as well. Kids are after all KIDS.

Amy said...

Got to your blog from azfamily where I read the story about your son. I really hope he is allowed to go to the school he loves. Something obviously needs to be done with that administration. Going by what you have said and the commenter above whose daughter goes there. I signed the petition and hope it helps. Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Zane you know all of the people miss you

amyjo said...

I'm so happy to hear that you (Zane) can go back to school! I also think that this whole situation will be something that you remember as a positive learning experience about what it means to be human...to make mistakes and to get second chances. I know you like your school, and I know you are grateful to be there...enjoy it once again!

hav2sing said...

This just makes me angry! I'm glad it worked out, but so sorry you (we) have to go through it. Completely insane world we live in, sometimes!