Thursday, February 25, 2010

My thoughts...

I feel like I need to clarify my thoughts on this entire situation. I believe Zane's school did a great job. I understand their need to ensure the students and staff at the school are safe - and I respect that. It was a process that in our situation worked as it should - and I have tremendous gratitude and respect for the Governing Board of ASA.

I never disagreed with the suspension (though I believe him missing nearly 3 weeks of school in this situation was harsh). Zane broke a rule, and I have no doubt as he continues to grow and learn, he'll break more - but never one such as this!

In moving forward, I hope that the Board of not only Zane's school, but many schools, in this State and elsewhere, practice their due diligence in researching the current statistics and studies on the detrimental effects of the Zero Tolerance Policy. Adopt language in your school handbooks that allows for a learning curve when there is no danger or safety concern. Treat our children as you would like to be treated. There are numerous studies stating Zero Tolerance Policies do NOT make/keep our schools any safer.

We all must take something away from this. I have expressed to my son many times now that he did indeed break a rule and is now suffering the consequences from this mistake. I want him to be an accountable human being.

I would highly recommend every school board member to read the Zero Tolerance Policies in Schools Fact Sheet created by the Consortium to Prevent School Violence. It could be a very useful tool in amending and updating your schools current policies to ensure you are sending the right message to our future - the children.

At the end of the day, we were all just doing our jobs. The administrators, the Board, the media, and the mom standing up for her child. Now let's move forward to a more positive future - and hopefully one in which common sense will continue to thrive...

2 comments:

Kirkman said...

As I read through the comments on this blog and others, I find it absolutely shocking the level of misinformation and pure ignorance that has been propagated concerning ASA. It is clear from the comments that very little thought or research has gone into the vast majority of comments that have been made. ASA is being lumped in with all the problems in the educational system. As someone who has put their heart and soul into this school, I offer a different insight.
This is a safe school for a reason. We are zealots when it comes to the safety of our students. We are absolutely intolerant of any kind of physical aggression between students. You really expect me to apologize for that?
My first day of school at another high school in the valley (in a “nice” neighborhood) was spent breaking up a fight right outside my door. This was not a pushing match, this was a no holds barred face pounding. I witnessed multiple acts of violence between students in the 3 short years I spent at that school. I have spent more than three times that amount of time at ASA and I can count on one hand (and have fingers left over) the number of aggressive acts I have seen. The message we send is clear, aggressive behavior towards another human being is simply not tolerated. There are better choices to be made. I am proud of that message. I am proud that students feel safe and know that they can voice their opinion and don’t have to fear physical attack.
As evidenced in the outcome of this case, it is not the policy, but the implementation and its process and course that determine the intent. I find it frustrating that so much negativity has been put forth concerning our school and administration before the full process was even complete. Portraying our school as the big bad heartless educational institution was misleading and unfair. As has happened so often in the past, ASA has set itself apart from the masses and charted its own course. If you have been on our campus, you know how the students treat each other. You see the smiles and hugs and the laughs. There is nothing I can say that speaks louder than how our students treat each other. I find particularly disquieting the comments about “the administration”. Every single administrator at ASA has been a veteran teacher at the school. The very ones who helped lay the groundwork for the interactions you see between students. This is an amazing place, with amazing students, parents, teachers, administrators and staff.

Mssss. Champion said...

While I can appreciate your opinion, I think you are missing the point.

Most people are upset with the rigidness of the policy - not the school. You said it yourself when talking about school violence. My son was not violent, did not threaten or harm anyone, and has never in his life been in a fight. To then treat him in the same way (or worse) than a child who DID harm or threaten someone shows in my opinion, the need for a better school policy.

The majority of people's frustration (and comments) just indicated the need for administrators to use common sense in these situations when there WAS NO INTENT.

I know that ASA is a good school and I surely don't think that my family portrayed it as being anything other than that - which is also why we chose to go through the process rather than withdraw Zane.

I do however stand by my opinion that the Zero Tolerance Policy in schools does more harm than good.